How Do I Cancel My Car Registration?
29 March 2020
If you live in Melbourne, Victoria, you can cancel your car registration at any time as well as apply for a refund of the unused portion. Luckily, it’s not difficult to do so.
Why People Cancel Their Car Registration
There are many reasons why someone might cancel their car registration.
Some of these reasons include:
- You want to sell an unregistered car
- Your car has been damaged, wrecked or scrap
- You’ve registered your vehicle interstate
Steps to Cancel Your Car Registration in Melbourne, Victoria
If you are a registered user of the vehicle you cancel it by informing Vic Roads.
You can cancel your vehicle registration via the following options:
- Fill out a cancellation form and post it to VicRoads, GPO Box 1644, Melbourne, VIC 3001
- Calling Vic Roads at 13 11 71
- Visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre
If you don’t renew your registration within 3 months of its expiry, it will automatically be cancelled.
How to Sell My Unregistered Car in Victoria?
If you want to sell your unregistered car, you’ll need to remove your vehicle’s number plates and send them to VicRoads where you can apply for a refund. VicRoads isn’t required to be informed of the sale of an unregistered vehicle but does state that you should have a receipt of the transaction, along with the details of both parties. You can use their receipt template, or at least include the following:
- The date and time of the sale of the vehicle
- Your name and address
- The buyer’s name and address, as well as signature
- The vehicle’s details such as its make, model, VIN or chassis number
You don’t need a Certificate of Roadworthiness to sell your unregistered vehicle in Victoria.